Friday 22 February 2013

Evaluation Question 2


How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?

When creating my short film, magazine article and film poster I ensured to have a consistent style so that the theme of the film will be easily identified by its target audience, resulting in better promotion of my short film and ideally drawing in a wider audience at the festivals it is shown at. The extended metaphor that runs through all my products is that money isn’t everything and that happiness can’t be brought. By demonstrating this more rough around the edges lifestyle it emphasises that it’s oneself which makes them happy not of what they poses.
My short film has been created with the purpose of not just entertaining its audience but demonstrate an art form that can inspire and lovers of film will enjoy. By leaving the ending at the close of the day it is also intended to give something that each individual can perceive differently as you would expect in a more conventional art form.  The way it is filmed in a realistic manor focusing on the sounds and little everyday actions is not only intended to tell a story but give something that is different to every individual that watches it.
The purpose of the film poster is purely to promote the film and give off the image I expect my short film to portray. By creating a simplistic yet powerful image I intend for its target audience to want to find out more and put in their own research into the film rather than having it all given away, something I have discovered through research that film lovers enjoy. The fainted skull in the characters face is intended to portray the darker side to my film that is given with the director’s cut. By having this non fairy tale ending it gives me the power to comment on the real world and not just that of a story. The graffiti stylised text gives off the impression to an audience that my film isn’t all about being neatly cut and happy but rather something realistic and harsh that an audience can divulge their personal opinions upon.
My magazine article however is used to promote my film not from the fictional side but through reality. This form of promotion see’s the film from a more analytical view that is generally further persuaded by cinematic enthusiasts. By actually getting behind the camera and learning of the real actor it portrays the film it portrays the film as more of an artistic piece than the entertainment side demonstrated in the film. Opposed to my poster this form of promotion will be seen by a much more specific audience in that of the magazine readers rather than the general public on billboards and adverts. For this reason I am able to tailor the article exactly to their interests and capture the interests of my priority target audience. The ways in which the two forms of print media are designed to complement the short film is ideal as I can bring in multiple audiences whilst still focusing on my primary audience, and ideally creating an experience that will be enjoyed and respected by different people with different values.

No comments:

Post a Comment